I have ALWAYS loved lentils. The soup, these balls.. Anything that has something to do with lentils.
The most important thing to know about these balls is that they are vegan and they are packed with protein.
It’s really easy and fast to make these lentil balls. And if you are like me and you like to touch the food while making it then this recipe is perfect for you. I have always loved the recipes that require me to knead and touch and all that jazz. I believe a lot in the quality of the taste being in the hands of the maker.
This is a Turkish recipe. In Turkey old women have these get-togethers montly. And they make delicious cakes, cookies, savory foods.. This is a staple. A-t least in people I know’s houses.
I still remember the first lentil ball I ate. I was around 7. It was at a friend of mum’s house. She had also put green lentils in and I had never heard of lentil meatballs before. I remember being confused about them. I was almost certain I would hate them. But when I had one I basically fell in love. Safe to say to this day I’m still in love.
2 cups red lentils
1 cup thin wheat
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp red pepper paste
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup chopped parsley
1 lemon’s juice
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp salt
- Boil the lentils until they are as soft as possible. Turn off the stove.
- Add in the thin wheat on top and cover the pan. Wait around 30 minutes.
- In another pan fry the onion in olive oil.
- Add in the pepper and tomato paste.
- Add in the spices.
- Add all the ingredients in 3,4 and 5 in the lentil and wheat mixture.
- Chop the scallions and parsley in small pieces.
- Once it’s cold enough start kneading the tomato paste mixture and lentil mixture together until there is no yellow part.
- Knead in the parsley and scallions.
- Take out walnut sized balls and start shaping your lentil balls in any way you like.
♡ Bon appetit! ♡